Friday, October 9, 2015

A day in Rhinebeck, New York

Rhinebeck, New York


This is a harder review for me to do as I was disappointed in what I found after reading reviews in various travel sites, that it’s the "new Hamptons north."

I am not sure how it would be for living there, or having a weekend home, I can only imagine.  However for this writer, it was not what I hoped for.  It’s a very lovely manicured small town, about 2 hours north of New York City, in the Hudson Valley.  There are views of the Catskill Mountains.

I would suggest that Reinebeck is an excellent stop on the way to or from another destination, such as Hyde Park.  The town itself has charming lovely little shops with clothes that you can't really wear once back in The City; they all have the crafty feel, or tailored look that you find in Berkshire or Vermont shops.  It’s not the NY look at all.  I confess I bought a scarf.

There were old homes with interesting architecture and plenty of historic home tours, and also lots of historical sites to visit and vistas. But every old town has these, so if it’s not your thing, it won't make you happy to be here.

We had lunch in "the oldest tavern in the US, at the Beekman Arms.  We sat in the atrium, yes it was lovely once again, and the waiter was lovely too. The shops were all lovely and everyone working in the shops were upbeat and lovely as well.

By the time we left I was sick of lovely and wanted to be back to reality in NYC.





No comments:

Post a Comment